ECDIS: NEW INTERNATIONAL HYDROGRAPHIC ORGANIZATION (IHO) STANDARDS
June 22, 2017
The IHO has developed new editions of the S-52 and S-64 standards designed to address, in particular, ECDIS anomalies and so-called alarm fatigue. Originally published in 2015, the new editions include the following:
• S-52 Edition 6.0 is updated to S-52 Edition 6.1
• Presentation Library Edition 3.4 is updated to Edition 4.0
• S-64 Edition 2.0.0 is updated to S-64 Edition 3.0.1
In order to meet the carriage requirement, ECDIS must be capable of displaying these latest IHO chart content and display standards and the installed software may need to be upgraded accordingly. In March 2016, NCSR 3 (IMO Sub-Committee on Navigation, Communications and Search and Rescue) extended the transition period in order to allow owners and operators further time to update their ECDIS software and, if necessary, the system itself. The new standards will now come into effect 1 September 2017.
The following advice is offered:
• ECDIS installed after 19 August 2015 should already comply with the new standards. This can be confirmed by referring to the type-approval certificate, which should include a statement that the ECDIS was tested and approved in accordance with IEC 61174:2015.
• ECDIS installed before 19 August 2015 may not have been provided with Edition 4.0 of the Presentation Library, in which case, the type-approval certificate will refer to IEC 61174:2008. In this instance, the manufacturer should be consulted to ensure that ECDIS software is updated.
Once updated, the IHO ECDIS Data Presentation and Performance Check should be used to check for any display anomalies. This can be found at :